Los Angeles Workplace Retaliation Lawyers
Protecting Your Employee Rights
Do you believe your employer is punishing you for reporting unlawful conduct? Are you afraid to confront your employer for fear that they will take adverse action against you? King & Siegel LLP is here to help. Our Los Angeles workplace retaliation attorneys represent California workers in cases against their employers. If you believe that you are being unfairly retaliated against, reach out to our experienced legal team as soon as possible.
We have helped clients recover compensation after experiencing all types of workplace retaliation, including:
- Unfair firing
- Pay reductions
- Denied opportunities for promotion
- Denial of equal training benefits
- Exclusion from meetings
- Undesirable job reference
- Changing shift schedules
- Negative performance reviews
- Unacceptable working conditions
- Excessive disciplinary action
- Unwarranted monitoring
- Unnecessary relocation
No matter which type of retaliation you have experienced, our employment lawyers can help you hold your employer accountable for their actions. During your free initial case review, our attorneys can evaluate your situation, address your questions and concerns, and begin to implement an effective legal strategy. We are committed to guiding you through the entire legal process from start to finish.
If you have been a victim of retaliation in the workplace, take action by contacting our employment lawyers today at (213) 465-4802.
Protected Activities in California
Workplace retaliation is when an employer takes an adverse employment action against an employee as a response to the employee engaging in a legally protected activity.
Under California Law, there are many activities that are “protected,” including:
- Filing a workers’ compensation claim
- Reporting hazardous safety or health conditions
- Resisting sexual harassment
- Reporting discrimination in the workplace
- Discussing salary issues with managers or co-workers
- Taking time off work to serve on a jury
- Submitting a wage claim to the California Labor Commissioner
- Going on sick leave to take care of an ill family member
- Reporting a failure to provide accommodation for a disability
- Engaging in a particular political activity
Proving Workplace Retaliation
Although there are laws in place that protect workers from retaliatory action for protected activity, it is often difficult to prove a workplace retaliation claim.
To prove a workplace retaliation claim, you must show that:
- You engaged in a protected activity
- You suffered a tangible adverse employment action
- The main reason for the adverse employment action is your engagement in the protected activity
The two most important factors in establishing the correlation between your employer’s retaliatory action and your engagement in the specific protected activity include keeping good records and working with an experienced employment law firm. Our attorneys are here to help you through every stage of building a strategic case to achieve your legal goals.
What To Do If You Suspect Workplace Retaliation
If you have been the victim of workplace retaliation, make sure that you take steps to protect your rights.
- Document everything: Keep records of every incident related to your case from the moment you suspect it, including emails, written documents, texts, performance reviews, internal memos, and other evidence that can be used in your case. Even verbal comments should be written down and kept for your records.
- Follow internal procedures: Some companies have a handbook on how discrimination or harassment is dealt with internally. File a complaint with your company to allow them a chance to correct the incident and so you have the complaint on record.
- Contact an employment attorney: It is highly recommended that you discuss your concerns with an attorney to understand your rights and how to properly handle your case. Your Los Angeles workplace retaliation attorney can explain the legal procedures and guide you through the next steps.
Workplace retaliation claims can be delicate and stressful. We’re here to help you make things right and pursue the justice you deserve.
Call King & Siegel LLP
If your employer has punished you for opposing their unlawful conduct or engaging in another protected activity, you have a right to pursue justice. Our Los Angeles workplace retaliation lawyers can help you stand up for your rights and pursue compensation for the damages you have incurred.
Our experienced legal team also handles other types of employment law cases, including cases surrounding:
- The Equal Pay Act,
- Sexual Harassment,
- Medical & Disability Leave,
- Stock Disputes,
- Wrongful Termination,
- Whistleblowers, and
- Wage & Hour Violations.
If you have been wronged in the workplace, call King & Siegel now for a free 30-minute consultation to discuss your case and options! We work on a contingency basis, which means you don’t pay us unless you win.