Los Angeles Sexual Orientation Discrimination Attorneys
Protecting the Rights of Employees in LA
One benefit that comes with living in California is that there are key laws that protect employees from employer discrimination, whether such discrimination is for someone’s sexual orientation, expression, or identity. Such laws include the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), along with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Unfortunately, workplace discrimination still runs rampant amongst many employers. When you have suffered such injustice at the hands of your employer, it is important to know that you are not alone in the fight because King & Siegel LLP’s employment law firm is here to protect your rights. Trust our Los Angeles sexual orientation discrimination lawyers in Los Angeles to wage war against injustice.
What Discrimination Against Sexual Orientation Looks Like
Sometimes discrimination against an employee’s sexual orientation can be extremely overt, such as a case of firing a worker who states that she is a lesbian. However, what is far more typical nowadays is that a prejudiced employer will not verbally admit their bias. Rather than demonstrate their bias in a manner that could be easily observed and lead to an HR complaint, employers often tend to be very subtle in their discrimination, as they try to make workers so miserable that they force them to quit rather than continue to suffer their intolerable working conditions.
Some subtle examples of sexual orientation discrimination include:
- Either refusing to promote or disqualifying an employee based on their sexual orientation or identity;
Making situations, events, or environments where a person of a certain sexual orientation would feel uncomfortable, ashamed, or unwelcome;
- Behaving in a harassing manner, or allowing others to engage in sexual harassment or verbal discrimination with the intention that the employee would resign;
- Implemented seeming “neutral” policies made against the expression of sexual orientation, or related activities, in the hopes of finding an excuse to fire the targeted employee not adhering to the “rules”;
- Giving more opportunities for training and better work assignments to members of a particular sexual orientation.
Supporting You Against Cases of Discrimination
Our Los Angeles sexual orientation discrimination attorneys are highly experienced at defending our clients from a wide variety of cruel discrimination. We are not afraid of standing up to the ones who hinder or violate the rights of any human being, simply on account of their sexual orientation.
Some of the cases where we successfully supported our clients in getting their rightful recompense have included circumstances where:
- Individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) have received unequal wages or salaries;
- Companies have refused to give any job positions to or promote LGBT individuals;
- Employers have fired individuals for admitting they were LGBT;
- Supervisors have cut LGBT people’s hours, benefits, promotions, or opportunities;
- Employers and/or colleagues have participated in overt or subtle bullying and harassment targeting an employee’s sexual orientation, such as name calling, crude gestures, or other demeaning behavior.
If you believe you are being discriminated against in the workplace because of your religion, King & Siegel LLP welcomes you to call our legal team today at (213) 465-4802 for a free review of your case.
The laws of California were designed to safeguard people of any sexual orientation, in the same manner that it protects people who have experienced prejudice on account of their ethnicity, religion, disability, race, or age. Here at King & Siegel LLP, you can trust our sexual orientation discrimination lawyers in Los Angeles to stand by your side.