Long Beach Age Discrimination Lawyers
Everyone, regardless of their age, has the right to fair and equal workplace treatment. But even in a progressive city like Long Beach, workplace age discrimination can be a problem. If you’re experiencing workplace age discrimination and interested in filing a Long Beach age discrimination lawsuit, look no further. The Long Beach age discrimination lawyers at King & Siegel LLP have dedicated their careers to upholding the rights of people facing age-related biases in their professional lives. We have a wealth of experience fighting age discrimination claims and have secured numerous seven-figure results for our clients in these cases. Contact us today to speak with an experienced Long Beach age discrimination attorney about your claim!
How Can King & Siegel’s Long Beach Age Discrimination Lawyers Help Me?
At King and Siegel, our priority is fighting for justice on behalf of our clients. When you work with us, here are some of the comprehensive services you can expect:
- Helping you understand your rights. We can explain the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), and other pertinent regulations and how they protect against workplace age discrimination, equipping you with the knowledge needed to identify and challenge age-related biases.
- Investigation of your allegations. Our team will meticulously assess your case, compile evidence, converse with potential witnesses, and lay a robust foundation for a potential claim or legal action.
- Conflict resolution. We aim to negotiate a settlement with your employer that acknowledges and remedies your grievances while catering to your personal goals.
- Court advocacy. If your case is not a good fit for early resolution through a settlement, you can trust us to stand by your side in court, ardently defending your privileges.
Your rights matter, and the skilled age discrimination lawyers at King & Siegel LLP possess the experience, dedication, empathy, and understanding to safeguard them.
What is Age Discrimination?
Age discrimination in a professional setting involves treating a job applicant or existing employee unfavorably because of age. This discrimination can take on many different forms, including:
- Age-related remarks—uttering disparaging comments or jests about an individual’s age, like implying they are “lacking speed” or “disconnected” due to their age;
- Omission—sidelining senior staff from crucial conferences, team gatherings, or pivotal decision-making conversations due to age-related preconceptions;
- Recruitment prejudice—favoring younger applicants over older ones who may have equal or superior qualifications during hiring;
- Modifying job duties—unwarrantedly adjusting an older worker’s tasks, rendering their positions obsolete or of diminished importance
- Withholding training opportunities—barring older employees from developmental sessions, assuming they might not grasp new methodologies or tech tools;
- Restricted entitlements—providing reduced or fewer perks to senior staff than younger peers;
- Hindered career growth—neglecting older professionals for upward mobility or career growth in comparison to younger peers with equivalent or even lesser credentials;
- Unwarranted dismissals—singling out older staff during organizational downsizing or reshuffling, even if they demonstrate equal or superior performance compared to younger colleagues; and
- Encouraging early retirement—urging staff to retire ahead of schedule or creating a hostile work setting based on age.
No matter how it manifests, age-based prejudice in the workplace undermines the dignity of older, experienced workers. At King & Siegel, our Long Beach age discrimination attorneys recognize and defend against even the most subtle age discrimination violations and are equipped to fight them, no matter how simple or complex.
What Laws Protect Against Workplace Age Discrimination?
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) of 1967 is the foundational federal law iprotecting employees and job applicants aged 40 or older from age-based discrimination. The ADEA makes it impermissible for employers to use age as a factor in various employment decisions, encompassing areas like recruitment, compensation, promotions, and terminations.
In addition to the ADEA, Long Beach employees are protected by California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). This legislation, applicable to businesses with at least five employees, safeguards individuals from age discrimination across all facets of employment. FEHA also outlaws retaliation against employees who challenge discriminatory actions or participate in related proceedings. Furthermore, FEHA requires employers to take affirmative steps to create a workplace free of age-related harassment and hostility.
Where Can I File a Workplace Age Discrimination Complaint?
If you suspect you are a victim of workplace age discrimination, you can lodge a formal complaint with either the California Civil Rights Department (previously called the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH)) or with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Notably, these complaints have a filing deadline: for State claims, you have three years to file a complaint, and for federal claims, most employees have 300 days to file a complaint.
While you can file a workplace age discrimination complaint independently, navigating the complaints process can be confusing. To ensure you file your complaint correctly and in a timely manner, it is a good idea to engage a skilled age discrimination attorney who can assist you during every step of the process. At King & Siegel LLP, our team of experienced Long Beach age discrimination attorneys can assess your claim’s merits, aid in gathering relevant evidence , and ensure your complaint meets all deadlines. We’ll stand by you throughout the filing and investigative process, assuring your rights are protected.
King & Siegel LLP Will Fight for Your Workplace Rights
You shouldn’t have to put up with workplace age discrimination. And you don’t have to go through the experience alone. King & Siegel is here to help you through this difficult time. Our advocates fight exclusively for employees’ rights and will work to ensure your employer treats you fairly. Our lawyers have been named Rising Stars by Super Lawyers, have earned perfect AVVO ratings, and have won millions of dollars for clients wronged by their employers’ bad behaviors. Our commitment to you is to provide compassionate, hard-hitting, top-tier representation. Contact us today for a free 30-minute consultation, and let us help you achieve the resolution you deserve.