San Diego Age Discrimination Lawyers
Age discrimination is a pervasive issue that affects individuals of all backgrounds and professions. Despite numerous laws in place to protect workers from discrimination, many individuals still face unfair treatment based on their age. Age discrimination can lead to unfair treatment, job loss, and financial hardship for older workers.
If you or someone you know has experienced age discrimination in the workplace, it’s essential to understand your rights and seek the guidance of an experienced age discrimination attorney.
King & Seigel LLP is comprised of San Diego age discrimination lawyers who understand the protections provided to employees by California and federal employment law. If you believe your rights have been violated, contact us today.
Understanding Age Discrimination
If you are 40 years of age or older, it is illegal to discriminate against you based on age. Both federal and state laws protect California workers from age discrimination.
Examples of Age Discrimination
The reasons behind age discrimination vary widely, but they often include stereotypes about older workers, concerns about healthcare costs, or the desire to hire younger employees at lower salaries. This discrimination can take many forms, including:
- Refusing to hire or promote older workers,
- Firing employees based on their age,
- Offering fewer training and development opportunities to older employees,
- Making comments or jokes about an employee’s age,
- Encouraging older workers to retire,
- Hiring younger applicants over older applicants, and
- Targeting older workers in layoffs and staff reductions.
If you have suffered from age discrimination in the workplace, you may be able to pursue legal action that will hold your employer accountable.
Legal Remedies Available
Age discrimination is a violation of California state law and federal law. Typically, you must exhaust administrative remedies by filing a federal age discrimination claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or a state age discrimination claim with the California Civil Rights Department (CRD) before filing a lawsuit against your employer.
California Civil Rights Department Claim versus Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Claim
If you have experienced age discrimination in the workplace, California law allows you to file an age discrimination claim with the California Civil Rights Department. This claim can be filed online, by phone, or using the CRD website form. Under federal law, you can file an age discrimination claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
It is important to note that it’s often easier to prove an age discrimination case under California rather than federal law. In California, an employee only has to show that age was a “substantial motivating factor” in an employment decision. Under federal law, an employee must show that the employer made a decision because of the employee’s age.
Generally, before you can file a San Diego age discrimination lawsuit against your employer directly, you must file a complaint with the CRD or EEOC. Once you receive a “right to sue” notice from the CRD or EEOC, you can proceed with a lawsuit in civil court. A knowledgeable age discrimination lawyer will be able to walk you through the appropriate administrative and legal steps for your age discrimination claim.
If your age discrimination claim is successful, you may be entitled to various forms of compensation, including:
- Lost wages and benefits. Compensation for lost wages and benefits due to discrimination.
- Future wages and benefits. Future wages and benefits you would have earned if not for the discrimination.
- Compensatory damages. Age discrimination victims often experience emotional harm. You can receive damages for emotional distress, pain, and suffering caused by the discrimination.
- Punitive damages. Additional compensation intended to punish the employer for willful misconduct.
Getting discriminated against based on your age at work can cause financial and emotional harm. The attorneys at King & Siegel work to ensure that you are compensated fairly for these damages.
The Benefits of Partnering with a San Diego Age Discrimination Lawyer
Consulting with an experienced attorney is essential if you believe you have been discriminated against because of your age. The laws that apply to age discrimination can be challenging to navigate without professional guidance. The San Diego age discrimination attorneys at King & Siegel possess a depth of knowledge regarding age discrimination rights in California. Partnering with our lawyers offers the following advantages:
- Case assessment. Our lawyers can assess the specifics of your case to ascertain the most appropriate course of action.
- Expertise in employment law. Our experienced attorneys are well-versed in federal and California state age discrimination laws. They can evaluate the merits of your case and help guide you through the legal process.
- Protection of your rights. We will help protect your rights by ensuring that all necessary steps are taken, including filing a complaint with the appropriate agencies and pursuing legal action against your employer, if necessary.
- Maximizing compensation. Our lawyers will work tirelessly to secure compensation for damages, such as lost wages, emotional distress, and attorney’s fees.
- Providing comprehensive assistance. Dealing with age discrimination can be emotionally challenging. Our attorneys can provide support and guidance throughout the process, reducing the emotional burden on you.
If you are searching for an age discrimination lawyer in San Diego, please get in touch with our office today.
Contact a Skilled Age Discrimination Lawyer in San Diego
Age discrimination is a serious issue that can have a devastating impact on your life and career. If you believe you’ve been a victim of age discrimination in San Diego, it’s crucial to understand your rights. King & Siegel is a California-based law firm whose attorneys have won millions of dollars for their clients. By partnering with an experienced age discrimination lawyer at King & Siegel, you can pursue justice, hold discriminatory employers accountable, and seek compensation for the harm you’ve endured.Contact us today for your initial consultation.