Today’s workplaces typically value diversity and fairness, but sadly, workplace age discrimination is still a problem. If you suspect you’re experiencing age discrimination at work, the Lancaster age discrimination lawyers at King & Siegel LLP are ready to help. Our expertise lies in spotting and challenging age-related employer misconduct and holding unethical parties accountable. We advocate for fair workplaces and are dedicated to protecting employee rights. Keep reading to learn more about age discrimination at work, what it looks like, and how King & Siegel can help stop it. We’re here to fight this often-ignored problem and work toward a fair workplace for everyone.
What Is Employment Age Discrimination?
Employment age discrimination, also known as ageism, refers to the unfair or biased treatment of individuals in the workplace based on age. This type of discrimination typically favors younger workers while negatively impacting older employees. It involves making employment decisions, policies, or practices that discriminate against workers solely because of their age, often without regard to their skills, qualifications, or job performance. Characteristics of employment age discrimination include:
- Prejudice against older workers. Age discrimination often targets workers who are aged 40 and older and can appear as a preference for younger job candidates or treating older employees adversely.
- Stereotyping workers. Employers and colleagues may pigeonhole older workers, assuming they are less adaptable, productive, or technologically savvy than their younger counterparts.
- Unequal opportunities for older workers. Discrimination can result in employers denying older workers equal access to job opportunities, career advancement, and training and development programs.
- Disparate treatment between younger and older workers. Older employees may face different standards or treatment regarding job assignments, compensation, performance evaluations, or other workplace practices than younger colleagues.
- Harassment. Age-related harassment can involve derogatory comments, jokes, or offensive remarks targeting an individual’s age, creating a hostile work environment.
If you think you’re a victim of ageism in the workplace, the experienced Lancaster age discrimination attorneys at King & Siegel can help you isolate your employer’s bad behavior, develop your claim, and pursue a course of action that will hold bad actors accountable.
How Can the Lancaster Age Discrimination Lawyers at King & Siegel Help Me?
King & Siegel can be a valuable ally. As your advocates, we will:
- Evaluate your situation to determine if you have a valid age discrimination claim;
- Educate you about your rights under anti-discrimination laws and inform you of the protections they afford you;
- Advise you on how to document incidents of discrimination and help you gather evidence that supports your case;
- Advocate for compensation for your damages, which may include back pay, front pay, emotional distress, attorney’s fees, and other remedies;
- Negotiate with your employer to seek a resolution before taking legal action;
- If negotiations fail, help you file an official complaint with the relevant government agency;
- Represent you in court if necessary to seek a favorable judgment;
- Protect you from employer retaliation for filing a discrimination complaint or lawsuit; and
- Provide guidance, support, and legal advice throughout the legal process.
At King & Siegel, we deeply understand the relevant laws, regulations, and legal precedents surrounding workplace age discrimination. We can help you navigate these legal complexities and work toward resolving the situation fairly and justly.
What Damages Am I Entitled to Receive for a Lancaster Employment Discrimination Claim?
Damages in a workplace discrimination case vary depending on the type of claim, your case facts, and the harm the discrimination caused. Generally, damages can include compensation for lost wages and benefits, attorney fees, court costs, additional out-of-pocket costs, such as fees related to job searches, emotional distress, and, rarely, punitive damages. Your age discrimination attorney may also negotiate a new employment position or other changes.
Which Regulations Safeguard Workers from Employment Age Discrimination?
The primary protection against age-based workplace discrimination in California comes from two key statutes: the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) of 1967 and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). This legislation bans discrimination against workers aged 40 and older in any area of employment and encompasses recruitment, training, compensation, career advancement, downsizing, benefits, termination, and other employment conditions.
What Is the Timeframe to File an Age Discrimination Claim?
To ensure reporting agencies address your complaint correctly, filing your complaint within three years of the alleged discriminatory act is essential. The Landcaster age discrimination lawyers at King & Siegel can help you file your claim accurately and without delay, ensuring you meet all deadlines. You only have one opportunity to make a convincing argument, so it’s essential to get it right.
Where Do I File an Age Discrimination Complaint?
You can file an official employment age discrimination complaint online by visiting the California Civil Rights Department (formerly the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH)) or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Both agencies have online instructions that walk you through the process.
Can I File an Age Discrimination Claim on My Own?
While you can file a workplace age discrimination complaint independently, it’s wise to consult with an age discrimination lawyer at King & Siegel to ensure you file it correctly. Our skilled advocates can work with you to ensure your complaint is clear, accurate, and meets all filing guidelines.
King & Siegel LLP, Your Allies in the Fight Against Age Discrimination In Lancaster
Whether you are contemplating filing a claim with a reporting agency or considering an age discrimination lawsuit in Lancaster, King & Siegel is dedicated to offering you the empathetic yet hard-hitting advocacy you need to be successful. Our advocates boast impeccable AVVO ratings and are Super Lawyers Rising Stars. We have recovered millions of dollars for clients who have endured their employers’s misconduct.Age discrimination must never be tolerated in the workplace. At King & Siegel LLP, we challenge and combat this unjust treatment, ensuring that workplace fairness prevails. Our unwavering commitment is to provide you with determined advocacy to help you end unjust workplace practices. We offer a complimentary 30-minute consultation. Reach out to us today, and let us help you through this difficult time.