Workplace sexual harassment is a significant concern that affects employees of all types, taking a toll on victims’ personal and professional lives. It is a kind of workplace discrimination that involves unwanted or inappropriate sexual behavior that often interferes with an individual’s ability to perform their job effectively.
If you or someone you know is experiencing workplace sexual harassment, seeking legal assistance is a crucial first step in combating it. At King & Siegel, our Fairfield sexual harassment lawyers pride themselves on helping employees navigate these difficult situations and protect their rights. We can provide advice and representation, help you recover damages, and hold your employer accountable for their actions. Remember, you have the right to a safe and respectful workplace. Contact King & Siegel, and let our experienced team help you fight for that right and the justice you deserve.
What Is Sexual Harassment?
Sexual harassment refers to unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other unwanted verbal or physical behaviors of a sexual nature between individuals of any gender.
One common type is called quid pro quo harassment. Quid pro quo harassment involves a person in a position of power, such as a supervisor or manager, making unwelcome sexual advances or requests in exchange for an employment benefit. For example, a supervisor might offer an employee a promotion in exchange for a sexual relationship.
Another type of sexual harassment is hostile work environment harassment, which occurs when a person’s severe or pervasive actions or behavior create an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment that interferes with an employee’s ability to perform their job duties. Examples of hostile work environments can include repeated unwanted touching, sexual jokes or comments, or the display of sexually explicit images or materials. Other forms of workplace sexual harassment include physical assault, stalking, and retaliation against employees who report harassment or refuse to engage in sexual activity.
How Do I Spot Workplace Sexual Harassment?
Workplace sexual harassment comes in many forms, from subtle innuendo to explicit actions. Some common examples of workplace sexual harassment include:
- Unwanted physical contact, such as touching, hugging, or kissing;
- Inappropriate or offensive remarks about an individual’s appearance, clothing, or body;
- Making sexual jokes or innuendos;
- Displaying sexually suggestive images, videos, or objects in the workplace;
- Sending unwarranted sexually explicit text messages or emails;
- Making sexual gestures or using suggestive body language;
- Stalking, following, or spying on someone with sexual intent; and
- Offering employment benefits in exchange for sexual favors or threatening adverse employment consequences if an employee rejects a supervisor’s sexual advances.
It’s important to keep in mind that these examples are not exhaustive and that any unwelcome behavior of a sexual nature can potentially amount to sexual harassment.
How Can a Fairfield Sexual Harassment Lawyer Help?
A sexual harassment attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and work with you to pursue a claim against your employer. The following examples are just a few services these professionals offer to guide victims through the challenging legal process. A sexual harassment lawyer can:
- Provide an initial consultation to help you understand your rights and determine whether you have a valid case;
- Assess your situation, explain the applicable laws, and offer guidance on the best course of action;
- Help you navigate the legal process, including filing a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the California Civil Rights Department;
- Ensure that you file your complaint on time and that it includes all necessary information to support your claims;
- Assist you in gathering crucial evidence to support your case, including collecting documentation, interviewing witnesses, and obtaining expert opinions;
- Protect your rights should you face retaliation from your employer or coworkers for pursuing a sexual harassment claim;
- Ensure you aren’t subjected to further harm or discrimination for pursuing a claim;
- Represent you in mediation or settlement negotiations;
- Help you obtain a just and appropriate resolution and fair compensation, including back pay, front pay, lost benefits, and other damages;
- Prepare for trial if your case doesn’t settle, including developing a robust legal strategy, preparing and presenting evidence, and representing you in court; and
- Provide compassionate and invaluable support and guidance during an emotionally challenging time.
Ultimately, working with a sexual harassment attorney will can you hold your employer accountable for failing to provide a safe and respectful work environment for you and other employees. More importantly, working with a sexual harassment lawyer will put you in the best possible position to walk away with a resolution and settlement you can feel good about.
King & Siegel LLP: The Right Kind of Experience
Workplace sexual harassment can significantly impact your mental health, self-esteem, and ability to perform your job effectively. And it can lead to long-term consequences such as loss of income and career opportunities. But you do have rights, and the sexual harassment attorneys at King & Siegel have the experience needed to protect them. Our Fairfield sexual harassment attorneys have recovered millions in settlements for clients and will fight tirelessly for the compensation you deserve. If you or someone you know experienced workplace sexual harassment, contact us online or all us today for a free 30-minute consultation. We can walk you through your legal options and help you chart the best course to recovery.